WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most bang for the buck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:13 pm 
Veteran

Which of your tools are the most used in your shop? The ones that really stand and deliver and get used for almost every project. Stationary tools, power hand tools and hand tools. Also what about marking and measureing tools. What do you use the most and why?

Stationary:
Without a doubt, my most used tool in the shed would be my TS. With the folding outfeed table, and the incorporated Router Table, it's also one of the biggest and most modified. With the giant bench hook I made, it also sees duty during assembly and hand planning operations.

Power hand tool:
It'd have to be this pair of Makita drill/drivers. I've used them for almost every project since I've owned them.

Non-power hand tool:
To be painfully honest, the most used non-powered hand tool I own is my Leatherman Multi-tool, which I carry all the time and have used ALL of the tools within and even used it to measure, pry and hammer. However, it's not really a woodworking tool. I use the #60 and #60 1/2 block planes more often than any other hand tool in the shop. Though the Japanese Dozuki and Kataba saws run a close second.

For measuring, without a doubt, the most often used is my tape measure, but I find myself leaning more on marking gauges and using digital calipers to set them. The Wixey angle guage is always close at hand as well.

So, how about you?

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 pm 
Veteran

Well, I would have to list......

Statinary....Table saw, drill press, scroll saw.

Power hand .....Sanders (I have 5 now), cordless drill, router (3 of those)

Non powered hand ....Japanese style saw, chisles(4), pocket knives (5)

Measuring....Tape measure, squares (6), Wixie, digital calapers (2)

I know, I know, NPDH but,,, it does and you already know what they all look like. :D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject: Most used
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
Veteran

I would say, Table saw and Hand planes. My Latest project really got me tuned in with my Lie-Nielsen No 4 1/2.

Marking and measuring: my Incra rules get worked hard and a good old steel ruler to top things of.

Good question,

thanks,

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 am 
Veteran

Stationary power tool- band saw- the most versatile tool in my shop. I use it for everything from slicing veneer to cutting up turning blocks and everything in between.
power tool- random orbit sander- well, I hate sanding by hand so anything that will get me to the last hand sanding stage the better. The only other power tools I own are a cordless drill and circular saw. Oh, I forgot I have a router as well.
hand tool- dozuki- quick cutting, tiny kerf. I often find it faster to use the dozuki than TS for trimming pieces and other odd tasks.
marking and measuring- 2 1/2˝ engineers square- great for making fine measurements.

peter

Last edited by ploh on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 am 
Veteran

If I could keep only one of my big boys it would be the band saw. Hand held power tools, leave me my router!. Hand tools .... egad, that's a toughie. My first thought was my simple no-name block plane but there are a half dozen that are used almost to the same degree, especially my scraper plane and Japanese saws.

Marking and measuring the tape measure would be the last to go. Then leave me my large framing square and at least one of my smaller ones. Pencils don't count 'coz they're a consumable (grin)

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 am 
Veteran

Power tools....

Most relied upon would have to be my Lathe.
Teknatool Nova 3000 (Have a spare thanks to Jeff Fox)

Followed a close second by my Jet 18" Bandsaw

Thirdly, my Stihl MS310 chainsaw. Used for sectioning up turning blanks.

Non-Powered.....
12' Stanley tape measures.
#8 Jackrabbit http://www.jackrabbittool.com/ I saw Norm Abram using one years ago.
I found it in a supply shop and use it almost every time I use screws.
Don't see it advertised much anymore.

---Nailer---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 am 
Veteran

Almost a me too.

1)Tablesaw, hands down.
If I didn't have the planer or jointer, I'd buy S4S and clean it up with the saw. If I didn't have the hypoid Makita, I'd make room to crosscut the big stuff on him.

2)Router.
Even the Shakers rounded and molded things. Makes things look like furniture, not just some garage fixture.

3)Chisel.
Want to weasel here, because I consider a plane just a chisel in a jig. Sometimes it's even a knife. It removes that bit of wood that makes things fit - anywhere. The power is nice, but not eye precise.

I learned on a folding rule, and haven't changed. Sometimes I even find myself using it on stuff over 6' in length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 am 
Veteran

1 Table Saw

2 Planer

3 Jointer

4 My Nail Guns.

5. My hand tools dont get much use except my tape measure and square.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm 
Veteran

Powered
Toss up between Table Saw and Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I wind up doing a lot of framing and trim work but when I am at home, the TS is a clear winner.

Power Hand
Gotta go with the cordless drills. Mine are DeWalt 18v but I love those Makitas. If I didn't already have an investment in DeWalt cordless tools, they would definitely have me looking twice!

Hand
Pencil and Measuring Tape. The old adage measure twice, cut once has been proven again in my household. Of course for me it is more like "measure tw ... What was I doing? Oh yeah ... measur ... Squirrel! mea ..." ADD runs strong in our family! So I guess it is more like measure multiple times and hope you remember it long enough to write it all down. :P