WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm 
Veteran

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since i've posted anything and i need your advice...... a very good friend of mine made me a beautiful purple heart picture frame......i started to finish it with bush oil but now i'm not so sure its what i should be using. the picture frame will be hanging in my entrance hallway which has 2 windows and so it will be getting direct sun light. i know purple heart changes to a brownish color over time. is there a finish that will protect it from the sun and stop or at least slow down the browning process???? hopefully you can help me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 am 
Veteran

From what I understand about purpleheart, anything with a UV blocker in it will help.. but you will still see some changes over time...

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:09 am 
Veteran

I've seen aged purpleheart and certainly it turns a nice brown over time. I wonder though why one can't use purple stains (pigment) the help preserve the desired color. Has anyone tried this? Do pigments hold up better against UV than the actual wood fibers? One could make the same argument for CB dye...those for sure have exceptional UV resistance. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am 
Veteran

I have made a few purpleheart frames and finished them with blonde shellac. They still look somewhat purple after a few years, but they get no direct sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 am 
Veteran

I'd go with oil finish as an undercoat to bring out the beauty of the color and the grain, then go with a UV resistant top coat. I'd also hang them in a place where they get little to no sun light.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am 
Veteran

I know someone who airbrushes the color on to keep the purpleheart purple and the red streak in box elder red. mpw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 am 
AdminMama

For what it's worth.....I've had a piece of purple heart in the workshop for 3 years now. It has been planed and sanded, but no finish applied. It is still brilliant purple, with its own semi-oily finish.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 pm 
Veteran

As Tom mentioned, I've also heard of some folk using outdoor finishes on purpleheart that has UV protectants in it-- this can evidently prolong the browning process. The one I heard that was used Epifanes (a 2-part epoxy finish)

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm 
Veteran

Thanks everyone for your quick and very informative replies. I think I will use the UV protection. I never thought of that. I also might rethink where I am putting it so it isn't right in front of a window. Sometimes its a good thing wood changes color and sometimes its not.......sometimes i feel like a nut, sometimes i don't. It was also nice getting back online and seeing what everyones been up to. You all inspire me to get turning again. :) :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm 
Veteran

I'm with Verna, I have some unfinished PH in the shop just leaned against the wall that has maintained a bright Purple for 6 months. I also made a sample drawer front so my wife could pick out the style she wanted. I made the sample front out of Walnut and inlayed an 1/8" thick x 3/8" wide piece of PH across it. It's finished with two coats of Zinser clear shellac and three coats of Minwax. My wife loved it.
I then wanted to see what would happen to the PH when exposed to direst sunlight, so I've had it laying on the front seat of my car since February and it hasn't turned brown yet. Still testing.