WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:26 pm 
Veteran

I have been getting by with just a primitive grinding setup for my turning tools. I've sharpened most everything by hand (no platform even). I keep promising myself I'll put together those grinding jig parts I cut out a couple years ago, but never get around to it.....

Finally in January I broke down and bought a commercial rig for grinding turning tools. (I actually had money to spend at a woodworking show!) But I've been rather busy until now... so I'm just now getting to this.

Fortunately I had salvaged some drawer boxes out of the dumpster (I couldn't bear to throw them out for weeks, and when someone finally dumped 'em, I climbed in and got them back out). I also had saved some cross grained scraps of 3/4 prefinished birch that would normally hang around for months, and then we'd have so much they'd go in the dumpster too... And the brass knobs I salvaged from the dumpster years ago. Still gots a whole buncha them...

And now that I've gotten a frameless cabinet construction method set up at work for a big church job, I cut out these parts from the scrap on the CNC router, and then assembled them here at home:

I've got the True Grind jig in the top drawer along with the diamond dresser and the wheel dressor. I also have the old Ellsworth jigs in that drawer. I guess it's time to move those on!

The top detaches for transportation if I need to take the mini lathe on a demo....

I'm now in sharpening heaven. All I need now is a better wheel for the left side, and a coupla those Raptor jig thingies from Craft Supplies USA...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
Veteran

Great set up, I have the same thing and realy like it.

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
Veteran

yup, I love mine-- my setup looks similar except for all the scraps of block I have pin nailed to my top that I use as guides for the guide

Nice saves on the cabinet too-
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am 
Veteran

Love my wolverine too. Great setup on yours. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon