WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:30 am 
Veteran

Yes... I've been watching a LOT of the "woodwright's shop" and have nightmares of Roy Underhill showing up at my shop to borrow my Carvewright (not very likely)

Could anyone please help me determine the values of these tools? (sight unseen) The are for sale as a lot (I'm buying not selling) and am looking to have most/if not all of them as users unless I'd mess up something of value as a collector item (doubtfull) by using it. I also want to make sure I'm not either ripping off the seller or getting ripped off. Part of this bunch is for a hand-tool kit I'm making up to go downrange so I and other folks can turn pallets into small but smooth pieces of pallets :roll:
Thanks in advance,
Lawrence
7 hand planes (I see at least one broken tote and one missing iron)
6 mldng planes
2 spokeshaves
4 augers
1 egg beater
1 gauge
7 wooden hand-screw clamps
2 stanley planes... I see stamping on one adjusting lever

Last edited by Lawrence on Sun May 23, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 am 
Veteran

There's a guy here who has a ton of this kind of thing in his secondhand shop. Most of the items you show, he has for between $20-$40 each, depending on condition, but he is willing to deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:05 am 
Veteran

I have bought a lot of this kind of stuff at auction, so you have to take this with a grain of salt (plus can't really tell a whole lot about the condition from the pics). I bought the small block/smoother type wood plane and the moulding planes for $5-$10 each. Think I paid about $15 - $25 for the large wood planes. The spokeshaves are pretty simple, so don't know how much they'd bring, but can't imagine more than $5-$10 at auction. Paid about $10 for the eggbeater and $10 -$15 for the Stanleys. The augers and clamps are usually bought by people who want to use them as "rustic" decorations, and I don't have a use for the augers in what I do. So, I don't usually bid on those. As a user (with no antique value), I can't imagine the augers would go for more than $5 - $10 at auction. The clamps may go higher depending on the condition of the threads. I've seen some that were only good for decorations. :D

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:27 am 
Veteran

The only things that catch my eye as possible "collector" items might be the top spokeshave, the razee smoother, and/or the big jointer.

I would research the molding planes as well, that panel raiser could be of value as well as the 4th from the left (shoulder plane? seems to have a nicker?). Manufacturer names are the key here typically.

The Stanleys both seem a bit hinky. The lateral adjustment on the left one shouldn't be off so far (but the blade assembly doesn't appear to be set properly either (lever cap is not seated on screw). The "chip breaker" on the right one seems really short; although the blade appears to be full length.

Otherwise, I would mostly agree with John Boys assessment. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am 
Veteran

Thanks all, I'm under $10 each for the items so it sounds like it's a reasonable price. At those costs i don't mind trying to make these into users. Thanks for the advice all
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:02 pm 
Veteran

BTW - I might have some spare parts for some of the wood planes if you need anything after you get them. Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 pm 
Veteran

I'm under $10 each for the items

If you want to double your money on the 4th molding plane from the left let me know.

:D

I'm intrigued by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 pm 
Veteran

all right-- so I have all these new (old) tools and I know very little about them. I would like to make some of them into users, but once again didn't want to do any harm to tools that are valuable to collectors by sticking an iron into evaporust and waxing the heck out of the wood....

Here's what I have--again, I know nothing about most of these and any help/tips/tricks for using them or sharpening them would be great... I am not going to touch some that I suspect may be worth a bit more than I paid....

Again, I'll spell out what I think I have and what I think I'd like to do with it and y'all please tell me if I'm crazy....
First, I think I have what I belive is a trying plane-- it is 24 inches long and 3 1/4 inches wide. The blade is stamped "W. Butcher 2 cast steel" (I believe this company made irons from the 1840's-1890's but am unsure) and is 2 9/16 wide. The front of the plane is stamped with what looks like an owner's (not maker's mark) E.S. Rotes.
I hope to use this plane as a user-- if not the plane itself, atleast the iron...

Next is a jack (or fore?) plane... it is 16 1/2 inches long and 2 5/8 wide and has a 2 5/8 spear and jackson iron and heavy chipbreaker. The plane is unmarked and the handle has been repaired, but is sturdy. The entire plane "feels like a user" and I am quite looking forward to trying it.

then is a small (12 x 2) plane and this one is much lighter and has an unmarked iron and no chipbreaker. The front of the plane is marked "union Factory R. Chapin" (I discovered this co was from 1826-1851) This plane almost looks/feels like it has never been used.

next up is two coffin-shaped smoothers... one is pretty grubby with a very gnarled mouth and the other is obviously a user-- the iron has been sharpened and is very thick and shiny (and screamingly sharp) Both planes are unmarked and I plan to use one/make a new body for the other as the iron is VERY thick

There is also another coffin shaped plane- with a "W. Butcher" iron and chipbreaker but no wedge. It is marked "John Veit Phila" and is made from a very finely grained and smooth wood-- the machineing inside is extremely crisp... I don't know what kind of wood this is, but I think I love it. I plan to make a new wedge and have this as a user. Another thing to note is there is a small "button" on the back that appears to be made of brass? I have no idea what this is for

Next is 2 spokeshaves... both very sharp and all seems sturdy. I plan to keep these as users

The lot also included 4 hand augers-- I have no idea what/how/why I would use them, but they are all intact and all have the screw end intact.

Next was 2 egg-beater type drills. The one on the left has already been claimed by my youngest :) It is beautiful and works smoothly and has wooden knobs- the top one is threaded (wooden threads) and contains some bits (tiny spoon types) Both drills use a jacob-style chuck.

Next is 2 levels, one with broken glass and the other with both glasses (and bubble liquid) intact. I will most likely hang them both up and the usable one may go into my oldest son's shop box

next is assorted wooden clamps-- 3 are very much in-tact with all their threads appearing in-place and strong. A couple are a bit gnarled up...I'll add them to my wooden clamps only one has a maker's mark (W.M.J. Hood, valley falls) (circa 1890 rhode island)--- someone told me once that I could never have enough....
Also included is a British made bailey corrugated #4, A US made bailey #4, a #3, and a teeny plane with a very neat adjuster and a knockoff "blue anchor" stanley
Imagey 110

Now things start to get a bit more unknown for me.... the molding planes...I know no more about these than what google could tell me....
This plane appears to be a large "round" (?) marked sandusky tool co. (common maker's mark evidently)- planned to be a user

there is also a "union factory" rabbet plane with a skewed blade-- it really is a pretty tool (planned user)
Next is a much larger rabbet plane with a skewed blade and a nicker... it is marked "Josiah King" (1890's) and appears to retail for around $40-60 (I found several online) It feels quite solid and is in very good condition and I haven't decided whether I will keep it or sell it.
Next is a "hollow" (or did I get these backwards) made by conway tool co.
These seem to retail for about $10-30 and I plan to keep and use this one (it seems like a very handy shape) The hollow is quite large

Now I start to get confused... this plane has a fence and seems very well built... I don't know what it is called though (is this a fillister plane?)-- it is marked "A.Wheaton Philad" I could not find any reference to this maker except that a "a.wheaton cornice plane" was estimated at $3000... I'm not getting my hopes up (that would be like seeing "stanley" and assuming it is a #1 instead of a beat up $4) but until I research/hear further I'll keep this untouched and unused

And now my google search made my head turn a bit.....
I have three planes marked "Israel White" (1830-37ish) He is the maker who made the plow plane that was sold for $31,000 a while back... I thought, "how neat... planes from this guy---" but as he made "thousands" did not think too much about it... These two are quite pretty-- I don't know what they are for, but they are pretty---

Then I got to this plane.... the workmanship is very detailed (dovetailed pieces etc)

I did some more looking and discovered this passage here
http://books.google.com/books?id=zsBdW5 ... ne&f=false
"even though white's business inventory listed several thousand planes, very few that are stamped with his eagle-stars logo exist today making them very collectable and highly valuable with collectors"

does anyone know where I can go to find out if this is worth something? I understand that this is not a intricate plow plane and is not worth huge money but I do not want to sharpen and use a plane that may be of historical or collector value (in other words, I don't want to ruin a collectors item)

Anyway, this was an e-bay lot for $200 plus shipping... I think I may have done ok, especially if I can sell one or two and "flip" this lot... no matter what I hope to have a couple of useful planes/ and plane irons (these suckers are HEAVY and THICK) Again, any hints/tips/advice is very much welcomed.

Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm 
Veteran

one more thing-- all the wooden planes are in amazing shape-- no rust (surface patina only)... they were obviously kept packed away

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 am 
Veteran

You might email Patrick Leach about these planes. He could probably tell you what they might be worth, and he does buy old tools. http://www.supertool.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 pm 
Veteran

Thats a nice haul of planes, Lawrence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 am 
Veteran

The front of the plane is marked "union Factory R. Chapin" (I discovered this co was from 1826-1851) This plane almost looks/feels like it has never been used.

That "R" Chapin is probably "H" Chapin; as in Hermon Chapin.

That one and the little tailed block plane are likely somewhat collectible.
I'd check around on the block plane. Some of those early types have value.

No idea about the molding planes ... but I do like that Rabbet w/nicker. Not $40 like, but ... ;)

I think you did well for $200. You'll be able to sell the things you don't need/want and recoup easily half of that amount I suspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm 
Veteran

Just wanted to do a quick update for y'all on how this worked out for me--

I found a dealer that offered me $350 for the bottom 4 planes listed above and I jumped at the offer as it made this whole thing actually turn a bit of a profit (after some legwork, some research, and some clean up)

I've given a couple away to friends that can use them and have sold some others, but am left with $$ in my pocket (and a bob or two in the Airman's fund at work) and some great old tools that still have life in them.

I've tuned up the English #4 and the jack plane and have fixed the tote and sole on the large try plane (and will probably be selling it as it looks like I have an offer of $80 for it and don't think I can see using it)

The #3 got a replacement iron and is probably going into a tool kit I am sending down to the desert for the deployed folk to use (it is handy for knocking the edges off the plywood hooches and the crates that are often used (splinteringly) as seats. One of the (now sharp) spokeshaves will probably join it.

I also cleaned up/repaired the hand clamps-- only one was beyond reach due to broken threads-- a quick clean and wipe with johnsons was all they needed to be pressed back into service for another 100 years use.

As for the ID on the sweet little black plane-- it's a 4 1/2 inch sargent made in New Haven-- there is one for sale on E-bay now and I'm watching it to see what it goes for-- if it is under $50 I'll probably just keep it and make it a user.

I've sharpened up the nicest of the coffin type smoothers, but am still learning how to properly adjust it (I think I need to clean up the wedge a bit yet to make it hold firm) In addition, I think I may add a new sole to it so that I can close the mouth up-- it is pretty wide.

The egg-beater has a countersink on it and is used quite often (by both me and my boys) The unbroken wood level has found its way into my youngest's tool chest and I'm sure there it will stay. How could it not when a 6-year-old spent the better part of an hour cleaning it, waxing it, and loves to hold it "level"

Not sure what happening with the others and am leaving things be until I decide...
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 am 
Veteran

Well now you REALLY SUCK! Picking up all those planes and tools and turning a profit?!?!?

You're my HERO! 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:59 pm 
Veteran

one more update-- the little sargent palm plane fetched $38 on E-Bay

Lawrence