WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 pm 
Veteran

Just glued up the second top for the night stands. I'm also trying to clean the shop, one little area at a time. I'm tired of the quarter inch of dust that covers everything.

Now, I'm gonna work on the 4 draws for the night stands. That's a lot of dovetails.

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:55 pm 
Veteran

Hey Larry,

Well, I think that first off is a batch of cinnamon rolls, then I plan to work on a new batch of bent wood oval trays. Ebonized oak with cherry bases.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:38 pm 
Veteran

Taking care of my kids while my wife works then going to start working on the draws for my Daughter's bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:52 pm 
Veteran

Well, I spent the morning trading out a infrared light in our bathroom ceiling for a fan..... the bathroom ceiling is vaulted and did not allow for very much room in the crawlspace in the attic...

luckily for me, the builders had already hooked up an extraction hose (whew, I was not looking forward to hooking one up) so the job was relatively easy--- take out the old, fix the new in, hook up the electricity, test, enlarge the ceiling hole, put on the cover and then spread the insulation back out and clean up.... well worth it to do it myself rather than the $250 we were quoted by a contractor to put one in.

I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with my 3-day weekend, but hope to get some time in the shop as the weather is PERFECT (72 degrees or so)

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:13 pm 
Veteran

Not any woodworking this weekend. Today - repair the carousel tray in the microwave (i hope the epoxy holds the tray together) and fix the blower fan on the wood pelet stove (again).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:38 pm 
Veteran

Watch the GoDaddy Girl, Danica, be knocked out of the race and
see what's happening with the truck series. No wood butchering. :-D

WWASCAUX#1/WWAMDAUX#11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:51 pm 
Veteran

Hope to finish up the first of three pocket doors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:11 am 
Veteran

Well, the Lord said, "Let there be light", and since the area where my tablesaw is located (near the garage door) has been notoriously dark (unless the door is open), I decided to add an 8 foot - 4 bulb flourescent fixture to the mix. I had to slightly "recess" it up in between the rafters so that the door would clear when open, but that wasn't much of a problem.

After seeing the results I can tell you this is gonna cost a bit more money. I can't believe how much of a difference this makes. Gonna be putting in 3 more of the same and sending the old fixtures (with their cheap, fragile diffusers) to the boathouse.... I think I paid like $19.95 for the old 4 foot - 2 bulb units about 5 years ago. And about $60.00 for the new one that easilly replaces 4 of the old ones.

I used T-12's (with daylight bulbs and wire cages) this time instead of the old 2 bulb/4 foot T-8's that I have all over the shop.

It's litterally the difference between "night and day" !!!! Unbelieveable the difference this one fixture made !!!

Can you tell I'm excited??? Now I'll be able to see the mistakes I make.....

Skyrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 am 
Veteran

Made some Valentine candy Friday night.... and over a dozen are already gone! It wasn't me, I swear! Chocolate doesn't agree with me any more! Much....

I went to Lowes and bought all the hardware for a telescope stand a buddy and I are designing. I'll be cutting it out on the CNC router soon.

I'm also trying to clean out the shop. I've got several things I need to move on... I'm taking pictures of stuff to sell on Craigslist. (When I'd much rather be turning something - but it's gotten so bad I've GOT to do something.) I have two lathes which need some work, a chainsaw, and two plywood hobby benches. For starters....

I tried out my new Bad Dog Tools drill bits last night. Whoo! I'm making some thin parting tools out of some really hard spring steel, and these drill bits make short work of drilling pin holes in that hard steel! In the past I've melted off HSS drill bits, and broken masonry bits, trying to drill this stuff. The Bad Dog drill bits just wind right through it.... :-D I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm 
Veteran

Started milling the stock for the doors on mothers kitchen island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 pm 
Veteran

It was too carn cold to work in the garage this weekend. Never got above 50 in the garage. I know, I know, I'm being a baby but that's what happens when you live in Fla. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 am 
Veteran

Our kitchen remodel phase two got under way this weekend with moving cabinets, electric and plumbing to all the appropriate new locations for the refrigerator, sink, and stove. Still have gas line to run to the new stove location but that will be next weekend. For wood content, we patched in new white oak flooring where the cabinets used to be located so that the entire floor is at a common level with common wood species (i.e. no more plywood under the cabinets to raise them to the level of the floor.

Next step is to put hardwood down in the front room to turn it into a dining room (who would want to buy a house with no dining room to speak of but three "living" rooms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm 
Veteran

House projects in WY again. Only wwing was a temp. door for the plumbing access in a closet, nothing fancy. Pulled some insulation into the attic. Lowes has R-25 encapsulated rolls of 22' for just $9.37 each. Stuffed 6 of them into the attic. I need another 18.

Other than that, it was working on locks, hanging tapestry and cleaning gutters and painting.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon