WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm 
Veteran

What I HAVE are some good-quality spindle casters, like the ones you bolt to the legs of machines or steel stands. Three sets, in fact. What I NEED are plate casters that bolt to the bottom of my carts.

Is there a cheap and effective way to use spindle casters in place of plate casters? I see that Rockler has some mounting brackets that should work but since they're not free I thought I would ask here if anyone has ever made up a shop fix for this problem.

Yes, this screw-up was self-inflicted. I hate it when there's no one else to blame.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:42 pm 
Veteran

Make a plate with a tube that accepts the spindle and attach that to the bottom of your carts. You can use either wood or metal for this but i's your only real choice.

Depending on the design of the cart, you can use a wood triangle in each corner with a hole bored into it for the spindles. Alternately, if you can't do that, weld a plate to the outside of the frame (if it's a metal frame that is) and put the spindle there. If you can't do either then drill the cart frame and weld in a tube (again, if its a metal frame).

If you can't do any of that, buy new casters.