WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 am 
Veteran

Doggonit! This is the first weekend I can remember for quite some time that somebody didn't post a "What did you do ...." thread. And this time I actually had something to tout!!

OK, so I'll do the deed -

Here's a bunch of 8/4 x as wide as the tree was planks from a tree I had taken down a couple years ago:

See ""

These are to become my shop clerestory window frames. Finally!

See ""

I elected to use the bandsaw for ripping to width rather than the table saw. It felt a lot more comfortable using the bandsaw with this large of slab. Plus it allowed me to set up the dado blade on the table saw and leave it set up for milling the glazing rabbets.

See ""

Once I got the stock milled to thickness and width the next stop was the chop saw.

See ""

Well, I see in the photo I still have one face and edge to joint on these pieces but .... you get the idea.

Still got eight more to make, then it's a trip to the garage where all the glass has been waiting patiently to be cut to size and installed in the frames.

Hopefully this mild weather we're having out here will last long enough to get this project out of my hair.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 am 
Veteran

Looks like you got a big shop. What kind of wood is That?

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:41 pm 
Veteran

Great work Dennis. Looks like you're off to good start on those windows. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I was off to WY again. Got the new shower plumbed, and started work on a new circut to give light to the lower hall, but didn't have time to finish. I'll be going back in 2 weeks to finish that one, and do the Demo for the shower tile work.

This coming weekend, I hope to build a couple of boxes to get my Christmas gifts done. :roll:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm 
Veteran

Worked a little more on my rocking chair project saturday. Sunday started getting a spare room at my mother in laws ready for new flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm 
Veteran

For the last two weekends I have been cleaning my shop. You wouldn't believe the condition I let it get into. I still have one corner to get finish. Hopefully sometime this week.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:51 pm 
Veteran

Well it will outlast all of us, That's for sure.

AG

Post subject: What I did this weekend
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 pm 
Veteran

Dennis I started that sleigh Bed this past Sat. Didn't get to work on it yesterday but now have Post finished and mortise's cut. Will start on side & end rails tomorrow.

Following is what it's supposed to look like. I hope I've downsized these pics. Let me know if these open better.

PS: I don't like it but it's what my niece wants.

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm 
AdminMama

Dennis --very ambitious, and I like your workshop. AG, I like the style--sort of free flowing and light-weight concept of the traditional sleigh bed.

I installed three new interior doors, after removing the old 49 year old ones (I love that reciprocating saw!!!). My neighbor did help me with the new doors--I do have problems with "square".

And, I've been smiling all week because my neighbor helped me to finally finish the laminate flooring in the living room. I had it all finished exept for about 6 pieces in the hallway. I couldn't make the L-shaped piece work around the corner. Two heads are so much better than one, and my neighbor figured out a different approach that worked!!!!

I have to finish the door trim, baseboard and quarter round. But regardless of how much of the trim I get done in the evenings this week, we are tearing out my 49 year old bathtub, toilet, flooring down to the floor joists and put in a new floor, tub, toilet, etc. this weekend--wish us luck :wink:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm 
Veteran

I installed most of the rigid insulation on the ceiling of the shop I need three more pieces. I also assembled my bench project from Reclaimed Pine and Maple from shipping steel on trailers, used as spacers in between the steel.

Here is a close up of the top