WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:23 pm 
Veteran

What a cool specialty, Zulu. Your work is just beautiful and obviously requires years of practice and constant honing your skills. Great pics BTW.

I'll bet you don't have any trouble w/ the neighbors when ya park one 'a those babies on the front lawn! :shock:

And I'll wager ya get some suspicious looks from the local constabulary.

:D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:32 pm 
Veteran

I don't think so.
The type of stuff that you make is very interesting. I would really like to see the process. We can see boxes, Router tables, jigs etc. on any forum. The really interesting stuff is the stuff you don't see everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Veteran

ZULU: Welcome! Very interesting stuff. To scale? It's been a while since I've looked but where do you get the square nuts for your bolts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm 
Veteran

Welcome and wow!

Those cannons are fantastic. I especially like how you make wood look so much like chain. ;) No, really, they look awesome. Its always nice to see something different and your work certainly falls into that category for me. Nice job.

peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm 
Veteran

Wellcome Zulu, very nice canons,

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:33 pm 
Veteran

All I can say is it looks like you have a blast at your work. :D That is some great work just finding the infromation would be work on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:43 pm 
Veteran

DOUBLE WOW. They look so real, one has to know that you are a woodworker to know they are not.

Great work, your intricate detail is overpowering..

BTW, welcome home, we had a place for ya, glad you found it.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:35 am 
Veteran

Wow! That is unbelievable! I can't imagine how many hours you have in it.

By the way, Welcome Home! We've been waiting for you!

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 am 
Veteran

Welcome!!! Fantastic work! Great web site. You'll love it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am 
Veteran

Those are totally awesome!
Welcome Aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 am 
Veteran

Zulu, those things are slicker than butter on a bald monkey.

Glad to have you here.

Scot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am 
Veteran

Once again, thanks everyone.
Newtooth, I get square nuts at the local hardware store. They are a little pricey but add to the illusion nicely.
I have been an artillery nut since child hood. I have a nice library of cannon books including re-published military drawings of many different kinds of cannons. I try to be as accurate as I can with every gun I make.

Here is the one I have the most hours in. The barrel is a real reproduction and can be fired. I have all the hours in the carriage. I built the wheels and did all the metal work.
It is a 3/4 scale Revalutionary War style split carriage cannon. The barrel is 36" long and the wheels are 36" tall. The carriage is about 6 1/2' long.

It sits in my foyer just inside the front doors to greet any visitors. :-D
Zulu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Veteran

Zulu, Great looking work. The detail is fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:16 pm 
Veteran

What HO !! Warning shot off the starboard bow!! Stand by to repel all boarders,.. belay pins ready!,... General quarters all personnel. Oh wait a minute - I thought I was on another forum there for a second.

Jumin' H. Jehoshaphat!! If I hadn't seen that with my own eyes,.. Thank you for posting the progress photos. Welcome aboard and as already been hinted - we never get tired of pics around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 pm 
Veteran

How I built a wheel. A cannon wheel is supposed to be "dished". That means that the spokes have a 3 degree cant on both ends. The cant is opposing on each end. When assembled, The part of the wheel that touches the ground does so at 90 degrees. The top of the wheel then cants out at 6 degrees. This makes the wheel stronger when cornering.
Since I couldn't figure out how to get opposite 3 degree cants on the ends of my spokes with a power tool, I just made the wheel flat (no cant).
Does anyone have any experience with making wheels? I'd love to hear how you do it.
Enjoy the pics.
Zulu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43 pm 
Veteran

To do spokes with a 3* offset on each end, you'll need to do "offset turning." You'll need a tailstock jig of some sort to do this

I would think a disk large enough in diameter to hold the spoke at 3* at the required spoke length would be enough of a jig for this operation. The disk diameter would depend on the spoke length as a longer spoke will require a larger disk. Really long spokes will require a lathe which will turn large diameters.

The disk would need a "hole" the same diameter as the spoke tenon after turning. And, it would need a 3* "wedge" opposite the hole. Both the hole and the wedge would need 2 "pins" to secure the spoke during turning so it doesn't rotate relative to the jig. The drive spur "should" prevent this, but additional security is better than blind trust. You could make the jig adjustable by having the wedge and hole be "sliding" and a "locking mechanism" to keep it secure while turning but that adds complexity you may not need. The jig would need to be a live-center type as it will need to rotate at lathe speeds.

To turn:

Put the square spoke stock in the lathe and turn to final diameter as normal without reducing for the spindle ends. Put the jig onto the lathe tailstock and put the turned spoke onto the wedge pins. Turn one spindle end. Then reverse the spoke and put the turned spindle end into the hole. Turn the other spindle end after marking for length between tenons.

Each spoke will have a tenon that is offset by 3*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm 
Veteran

R. Peterson,
Thanks for the reply. I think what you are describing goes beyond my skill level. I got a little lost in the description.
Obviously you have done something like this before. Have you ever made a wheel?
Zulu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm 
Veteran

I've not done a wheel but I've done some offset turning in metal. For your information, there's a turning sub-forum on the site:

http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExchange ... m.php?f=10

If you post there I'm positive that you'll get pictures on how to offset turn spindles for dished wheels. However, to help you visualize what I'm saying, bend a wire into a "Z" form that would mimic your 3* offset spoke. Now, holding only one end, roll the wire with your fingers and observe that the free end describes a circle. IF your fingers were the drive spur on the lathe, the free end would need to be secured at the tailstock somehow. IF you poked the free end of the wire through a hole in a wooden disk it would hold the free end securely while you turned the end of the spindle where your fingers are holding it.

Alternatively if you don't have a ball-bearing tailstock, you can reverse the whole shebang and turn the spindle end at the tailstock and use the disk to drive the spoke. Either way works.

- EDITED HERE -

I did some google search on this. My verbage is wrong. the correct term is "eccentric woodturning".

Here's picture of a small wooden part in a lathe which demonstrates what I'm talking about:

You can see that the turned part is at an angle to the axis of the blank. If the turned part were the spindle end that fits into the felloe or hub and another one turned on the opposite end, the wheel would be dished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 am 
Veteran

R. Peterson,
Excellent information! Thanks for the pic. I now can understand what you were trying to describe.. I'll check out the website.
Zulu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm 
Veteran

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Sorry to be so late in me 'Welcome Aboard' thar mate. Just got back in from an extended pillag,,,,uh,,,er,,,voyage up north. Yeah, that's it, just a little voyage. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! So a hearty welcome aboard Mate! We could use a good armorer! Now, about them 6 pounders, just how many could ye get me before my next, er, voyage?" :wink:

"What's that?!?! They don't actually fire?!?! Perhaps we could just use them for imtimidation. Somethings better than nothing I always say."

"Again, welcome mate, ye do some mighty fine work and I'll be happy to, uh, voyage with ye any time. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Great work, amazing finishes, stunning pic's and I hope to see more of your work soon. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon