WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:13 pm 
Veteran

We now have one week (and 1 day) to go in the 1st quarter contest. I believe that we have 5 contestants so far. This is just a friendly reminder that you can still enter and not to forget to get your entries to me before the deadline.

I am also asking for suggestions for the next contest. It will start on April 1, so get those brain cells going.

THANKS!

I'm not lost, I'm just exploring a different route.
200 posts finally on 11-1-07 @5:15pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:36 pm 
Veteran

Good afternoon.
We have just a little over 24 hours to the deadline for our 1st quarter contest. I've received a few entries and am expecting more.

Also, for the 2nd quarter contest: Think grapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm 
Veteran

Chance/Verna

Can you let me know if you got my submission? I don't have internet access at home, so need to send before 5:30 EST if you haven't received it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm 
AdminMama

John Boy wrote:
Chance/Verna

Can you let me know if you got my submission? I don't have internet access at home, so need to send before 5:30 EST if you haven't received it.

Thanks

John Boy, yes, Chance did receive your submission. THANKS!!!

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm 
Veteran

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure. Got some kind of nasty virus at home and can't use the home computer at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:33 am 
Veteran

ng my head in shame and disappointment that I was not able to even start on the contest outside of getting the sticks. I will blame work and other RL events that kept me from working on it, but at the same time I feel disappointed in myself for not making the time for a great idea and spending some 'me' time doing something I would enjoy.

I hope you folks can forgive me. I think I have beat myself up enough for the whole forum now, but am will to take the wet noodle whipping for the rest of you.

With sincere regrets,

"I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm 
Veteran

After many hours in a smoke filled backroom, drinking many bottles of wine (we ran out, so we have to make the announcement), Verna & I came to a decision on the 1st quarter contest. We had 3 entries by 2 talented craftsmen, Rapid Roger & John Boy. Each of the entries had their own great merits. Roger made a wood hauler and the WWA reading room. John Boy made a serving tray. Each of these projects took lots of thought, probably lots of cussing and lots of wasted craft sticks.

OK, we're calling this a tie between the wood hauler and the serving tray. Verna and I could not come to an agreement on a tie breaker reason. Believe it or not, more entries would have made the decision easier.

While Roger's truck is ingenious, John Boy's use of box joints is stupendous. Roger bent the fenders and the wheels using water. And John Boy made a lot of cuts in laminated popsicle sticks to make the arches. John Boy put a finish on his "gym floor" that makes it look like a gym floor!!! John Boy made the laminations strong enough for the tray to be used as a serving tray.

So, which is the better of the entries? We all will have our favorites, and we could let you, the members decide!!!! But, Verna and I said we would judge and we did.

I'm going to ask each of the participants to post more in-progress pictures and an explanation on how they created their projects.

Our next contest will start on April 1, 2010 and I will announce what to make shortly before that.

Thanks again to our participants and for the suggestions for the next contest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Chance on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Chance and Verna!

Your work on this project for the WWA is appreciated. You are right. Both submitters defiantly "thought out of the box"!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:57 pm 
Veteran

well done by both-- excellent entries!

I'll be honest, I'd have loved to participate in this one, but the last couple of weeks/months are the time of year when it is most comfortable in my shop and I needed to take advantage. I can't wait to see what the next contest is-- if it's cutting 200+ linear feet of veneer I'm in!!!

Again, well done--
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:47 am 
Veteran

Wow, all of 'em are great.. but that truck.. I love the bent sticks!

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am 
Veteran

Well, Chance ask for construction pics and some explanation about our projects. So here goes some shots of my "Wood Hauler".

To answer your first question........I don't know, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. :D
Tampa Tom had shown some bent wood on a project and I've been wanting to try it and I found out that with popsickle sticks, it is real easy!!!
Just get a container (I used a 3# coffee can) and some hot water and soak the sticks for about an hour or two. (I found out that if you leave them over night they sink and are useless....too soft) Wrap them around a form, clamp them and let dry for 3 or 4 hours and walla, you got a half circle!!

See "Bending popsickle sticks"

I made the tires out of three layers of sticks with the seams over laped at varaing places around the circumference. And NO!, that is not a rubber tire, I just painted the wood black with a Sharpie. :-D
The only thing other than wood is the axles. They are pieces of coat hanger wire so the wheels will turn.

See "Second try"

As some of you know, I started my project using the wrong size sticks. :oops: So, I had to start over with the "correct" size and, I'm kind glad I did. Experiance helped things go faster and besides the wheels would have been out of porpotion anyway. :D

See ""

Well, I see that all my photos didn't post corectly in the gallery. So I guess I'll have to learn to post from my "Photo Bucket" some how.
Hope you enjoyed what I have.

Oh yea!!!!! The "WWA Reading Room" was a last minute idea to add to the contest entrys. As you can see, it wasn't much for construction photos and it almost didn't happen at all but, I finally did it in about three days.....ya gotta let the glue dry from time to time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:32 pm 
Veteran

Admittedly, this wasn't one of my best pieces of work :oops: The combination of the materials required coupled with the "hand tools only" requirement conspired to make this piece less than I wanted it to be. I didn't take the time to check the grain direction on the 499 popsicle sticks I used to build this tray. So, when I tried to plane the parts down (even with a sharp low angle plane), I wound up with all kinds of tear out that was too much to sand out, especially by hand. I think I would have wound up with something akin to veneer when I got done sanding. :D Since the time was drawing near for submission, I had to make the best of a bad situation and went with the rustic, used and abused floor look. :wink:

Anyway, LOML thinks it's cute and plans to actually use it. :shock:

I hope to make a better showing in the next contest. If not, I may have to consider selling my tools. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:48 am 
Veteran

Well, the next contest is suppose to start on APRIL FIRST!!!!! :-D :-D That doesent give Chance much time to announce what the PROJECT will be. But, I'm sure he will come through! :-D
I really hope we have a few more entrys on this one. As far as I'm concerned, the MORE THE MERRIER! :-D
It doesn't have to be real fancy or expensive and gee guys, you have THREE MONTHS to get it done!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
As you can tell, I real anxious to get started and plan on being one of the entrys reguardless of what the project is or what it is made of. :D
As before, I WILL BEND THE RULES AS MUCH AS POSSABLE but, not break them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please join in and get your thinking caps on and saws started and make this enjoyable for all of us. :-D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm 
Veteran

I haven't forgotten. I've been thinking the rules through so there won't be any "bending". I plan on announcing the contest between 9:00pm & 10:00pm EST tomorrow night (after I get home from the YMCA). Of course everyone will be on here for the chat. I don't want to give anyone too much of a headstart. There probably won't be too many rules. It should be pretty simple, probably more simple than the popsicle stick project.

And I too hope that there are more contestants, it makes it easier to judge. I would also like to get some assistance in judging so it's not just a "family decision".

So tune in tomorrow night for the 2nd Quarter WWA Contest.