WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:03 pm 
Veteran

The subject reminds me of one of my favorite Springsteen songs.....but I digress.

Quick question for the group: I'm making a woman's bracelet out of purpleheart. .25" thickness X 1.25" L X 1" wide little pieces. Two tiny through holes lengthwise in each for connection using elastic cord. Using a belt sander, I have rounded over the edges, but am not able to rid the end grain from a noticeably darker color. It almost looks like blade burn, but I have thoroughly sanded it to 220.

Any tips? Hmmmm....all of my questions seem to do with sanding....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm 
Veteran

I was always told you sand the end grain 1 to 2 grits more then the face grain for example: Face sand to 220 go end grain 300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 am 
Veteran

aah... purpleheart.... beautiful..... and burns if I look at it sideways.... and the burn marks are terribly stubborn to remove

I always have the same problem with purpleheart unless I use VERY light passes with the router or sander... finer grits of sandpaper seem to burn things so fast that I can't react in time (just ask my drum sander.... I've lost a sanding belt to purpleheart burning... it couldn't be salvaged even with little green)

I wish you luck and double berts suggestion that you sand end grain farther to seal it and create even grain soak, but purpleheart (and bloodwood for that matter) really require extra effort to minimize burning. You may want to try sanding minimally with rough grain and then sealing the end grain with shellac and then sanding by hand... this worked for a stopper I made

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:03 pm 
Veteran

I agree with Bert. I always sand end-grain with with a finer grit than the rest. However, I have never worked with purpleheart so I am unsure if it will react the same.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm 
Veteran

bfish:
I happen to know from bad experience that Purpleheart burns easy from sanding with a belt sander ( live and learn ). It is hard as heii to continue sanding w/ belt sander and fine grit, to get rid of it. Best way would be to go back to a heavier grit, say 80 and if you BS is vari. spd. , turn it way down to slowest or hand sand.In the furture , what I do , is use slow spd. and keep it moving so as not to burn and keep BS or pc. moving faster w/ higher grit, as it will burn more than heavy grit.
Roger