WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 pm 
Veteran

Ok so I’m building my own home. Made all the big oak entrance doors from red oak I cut from the home site. It was air dried 3 months, then kiln dried to 8- 10%. Then it sat stacked with stickers for another year in my garage. The door I have discovered a problem on is a 3.0 X 8’ X 1 3/4” solid oak door with glass panes on the upper half and a raised panel n the lower half. During prep I sanded it all levels and stained and then applied 3 coats of poly urethane. This was all done in my wood shop. Then I took it in the house in prep for installation and had it lying on edge striker plate side downward as I routered the hinge mortises. So when I flipped it 180 and positioned it striker edge up so I could mortise the latch plates I got the shock of my life. The stile on the striker side that runs top to bottom 8’ was extremely warped. In fact using a straight edge I found it to be 1 1/4’ Bow at the center. This stile is nearly 8 quarter and 6” wide. It was never warped until I brought it in the house and let it sit for 3 days. So I have so much time and money in this massive beautiful door ....is there anybody who might have some ideas on how I might resolve the warp thus saving my door. Thank you.
Jim in Nashville, TN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:35 am 
Veteran

Hey Jim,

Wow, sorry to hear that. An inch and a quarter over eight feet is beyond big, it's huge. Obviously, you got ahold of some reaction wood that had internal stresses in it. At this point, I would say be grateful that you didn't find out after you tried to hang the door. I don't think that there's anything you can do but replace the offending piece. If you try to trim and sister it, you run the risk of it walking on you again.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 pm 
Veteran

Tom is right, Jim. That board has some 'troubled' internal grain and may react for some time. Best focus on saving the rest of the door and your labor by finding some really stable (maybe QS) oak and replace it.IMHO

Don