WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm 
Veteran

The handle of a slöjd knife should fit comfortably in your hand and should orient naturally via an oblong shape, or by facets carved onto the handle. The handles of most slöjd knives are usually quite plain. The finish is also usually simple, an oil finish or often no finish at all.

With all that in mind, I again looked to the Swedish Morakniv™ for inspiration. Since the Morakniv™ handle has an oblong cross section, that's what I strove for. Initially, I attempted to turn an oblong handle using offset centers. I found however, that turning such a small piece with offset centers would not work well on my bench top lathe. A rather large and bulbous handle was the result, as seen in the photo above. Although the handle fit okay, I don't think that it will be comfortable over long periods of use.

On my second attempt, I added a piece of wenge to the cherry handle, separated by a thin piece of maple. I then turned the handle cylindrical. Using the indexing feature on the lathe, I locked it in place and used the lathe as a vice while I carved facets into the handle with a rasp, scraper and sandpaper. Once I had the shape I was looking for, I softened all the ridges, sanded and buffed the entire piece. A coat of tung oil and I was ready to add the blade.

I used a 3/32" drill on center, then worked it side to side along the wide axis of the handle to create the initial slot. For the final fit, I heated the tip of the tang to cherry red (keeping my fingers on the blade to ensue that it didn't overheat), then I plunged it into the slot in the end of the handle. I had to press the tip of the blade against the bench and repeat the process three times before the blade finally seated. Sixty minute epoxy finished the job.

I gave the blade a quick honing and it's ready to go to work. I haven't decided yet whether or not to buff off the straw colored coating left by tempering. I'm generally pleased with it, but I'm pretty sure that my 7th grade metal shop instructor, Mr. Gillespie, would have handed it back, without a grade, and said go back and remove those scratches and I'll grade it.

Next up, a well fitted sheath will complete the piece.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am 
Veteran

I found humor about your mention of your shop teacher. I remember all the shop classes I took in high school, wood, metal, mechanical drafting, and auto.

From what I understand, these classes are no longer available in some schools anymore.
Kids probably wouldn't pay attention too much with their phones in hand.

Shop classes were originally designed to give kids options other than academics to prepare them for trade jobs out of school.
Although I am a college graduate, I, still to this day, rely on those shop classes to preform even the basics of building, maintaining, repairing everyday tasks that would otherwise would have to hire someone else to do.

Countin' flowers on the wall,
that don't bother me at all,
smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo,
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do.

Second recipient of the D'oh Award. 4-13-08