WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm 
Veteran

Greetings - I'm BACK! (kinda)

Things are on the mend here so I'm planning a project involving inlay of mother of pearl. I have literally wine case boxes of abalone shells available from which I hope to inlay into my grandaughter's ring box for her upcoming wedding. I have a diamond tile saw that I've used to cut the shells and for which I'm designing a jig to 're-saw' narrow strips to a consistent thickness from which I'd like to saw the names of the bride and groom and date of of the wedding. Sally (grand daughter) prefers to have the rings in a box rather than carried on a pillow, the more traditional mode of conveyance since the ring bearer is only about 4 years old (grin).

So once I get the material into thin narrow strips I'll obviously need a durable fret saw blade to cut the shell. I haven't yet located anything like a diamond encrusted fret saw blade which would be ideal, of course. I doubt that even HS steel would last very long although if this is my only choice I guess I could stock up and go for it. Yes, I understand there are necessary precautions to take against the dust from cutting the shells thus I prefer to do it by hand so I can manage the 'dust' with a water flow. Don't have a scroll powered scroll saw and even so I don't think it would be wise to run the blade under a water flow or ... perhaps there's something like that available??

Also need some advice on a decent fret saw. I see them advertised anywhere from ~$20.00 to over $200.00. I don't plan on making this my life's calling but would like something up to the task for a few projects.

Many thanks for any advice and/or suggestions.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:23 pm 
Veteran

Hey Dennis,

I can't speak directly for the Knew Concepts fret saw, but I am very happy with my Knew Concepts coping saw. Perhaps a bit speedy, but there is absolutely nothing about it that I can find to complain about.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm 
Veteran

DENNIS S : Look at https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Coated-B ... B000OVNRP0

Sorry I haven't been up and around for quite while and I finally got permission to sit up and found this post of yours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm 
Veteran

Dennis,

Can't help directly, but I was at the Gibson Guitar factory and they do mother of pearl inlay. So doing some research on the web about guitar making might get you some info you could use???

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yeah, I covet that Knew Concepts saw, Tom. I think I'll start out with something a little less dear and if it happens that I get involved with inlay, I might ask Santa if I've been nice enough this year.

Indeed, I found some diamond wire, Newtooth. Got some on order now. Thanks.

I found this, reeliron - stunning work! They make it look so easy! (grin)
https://www.instructables.com/id/Handcut-inlay/

Fortunately I've got plenty of firewood for the stove. Hope to get 'round tooit soon.

Cheers - Dennis