WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:38 am 
Offline
ModerDude/
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 4104
Location: London, England
I have a Tormek and I do like the thing but I have never used it for my turning tools. As it removes material very slowly, I think I would be at it forever. It does produce a really fine edge but as a novice turner, I am thinking that this degree of honing is not necessary or practical for everyday turning tools – am I correct or should I reconsider?

Ralph :wink:

_________________
...Did I mention it rains here?

our other interests:
https://my-meccano.blogspot.co.uk
http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:41 am
Posts: 1790
Lots of bytes spent on this subject over many forums. Those who have all that money invested might as well use it, but it really isn't going to do much for you as a turner. The alloys you're using will take more time than it's worth for 98% of turning tasks. All the tools need is a trip to the rolling stone (100 grit) and back to the wood. Honing is optional. Since I expect to sand a bowl, I see no use for a fine edge. For spindles, a good hone at around 400 and proper technique makes sanding superfluous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 3685
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
I started with a system similar to a Tormek. After a time and talking with other turners I switched over to a 1725 RPM, 8", 120 grit grinder.

As NB said, that's good enough for 98% of what you'll turn. For the other 2%, start with a little coarse sandpaper. :wink:

Many will say the edge from the Tormek will last longer. I sharpen by hand and I can litteraly turn off my lathe sharpen my tool and turn my lathe back on in 30 seconds. To me that's bearly stopping.

I used to take me a good 3 to 5 minutes with my old set up.

_________________
Jeff

If man made it, I can fix it.
If God made it we can pray for it.

Lessons I have learned:
NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF TEAK
Always remove the zero clearance insert before you tilt the blade DAMHIKT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:41 am
Posts: 1790
How much metal you take off does not depend on the method. Though a more aggressive method has the potential to move more faster, you are in no way obliged to do so. With the Tormek or its slow-stone cousins you just have to spend more time, and keep water around. When I sharpen on the wet stone it gets cleaned, dried and stored before it can get spilled or collect wood chips or dust.

I keep my grinder close to the lathe so I can do a simple pivot, sharpen and pivot back to the work. Too close for a tub of water. Worth thinking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:50 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:01 am
Posts: 907
Location: fulton ny USA
hi ralph ,

personally i have used both the tormek and the wolverine jig with an 8" grinder . i know the guys that do turning for a living need to get it done (sharpenng) quick , time is money . i am a hobbyist , if it takes me 10 or 15 minutes to completely regrind an edge (regular vs. ellsworth) with my tormek setup i don't care . you might get it done a few minutes faster with the grinder/wolvey setup but you may also take out the temper from some mighty pricey tool steel. i use turning tools from over on your side of the pond (sheffield) and i want them to last as long as possible. thats just my opinion , i could be wrong :razz:

_________________
grizzly

what are you building today ???


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group